Pip

Thursday, February 17, 2011

SPANNER IN THE WORKS...............

As you may gather from my training updates this week.....................you can prob guess and would be indeed right, no ticking stuff off!

On Monday I woke up with a notably sore lower back. I can't think of anything I did to injure it outright.

I do know that about a year ago I did hurt my back worse than what it is hurt now. I think the injury a year ago may have been the delayed aspect of road cycling with heavy uneven loads on my back! Anyway a year ago I woke with a bad hunched cripple, could only walk slow, took a few mins to do such things as get out of bed, in or out of the shower etc thinking.......whoops, this way won't work! Because I would have been lucky to be even 30% of my normal capacity I had to take 2 days off work a year ago. I had to get a doc's certificate and he recommended rest then physio etc. I didn't do physio or anything due to cost but did my own stretches and within 5-6 days my back felt back to norm, - pretty much anyway. Over the past year or so my back has felt pretty much OK, a little sore every now and then but not enough to stop my normal regime or think about it further and the following day any slight pain seemed to ease. However I guess I wasn't always diligent about looking AFTER my back.............that kinda invicible feel, thinking I'd deal with it later, wanting to think of myself as TOUGH!

This week my back pain wasn't as bad as last year, it hasn't gotten any worse since Monday but no better. I can walk pretty much at full pace, have to think about how I bend and bend at knees all the time. Jogging 20 metres aggrevates it. Work has been frantic this week for various reasons, have done some overtime and feel aware of my back all day at work, (making faces when bent down where customers wouldn't see). Am in slight pain, more at times but I manage to plod along and work at mostly full pace I think, (maybe with slight exception to bending and picking stuff up). The stop start nature frustrates me LOTS at the moment but bit by bit have sucked it uo. I just didn't expect or call for this to happen............but as much as frustration at times hits I can't really whinge I guess!

However diet hasn't really been on this week either...............that..................and doing rehab stretches etc needs to improve! Despite charging around in some pain at work feeling frustrated about it............my middle gets larger if I habitally eat sugar and cheese as a daily thing............and lollies, muffin scraps etc etc. That's what's gotta stop for good!!!

3 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh I know how you feel! Back pain is awful. Hope you are feeling better soon. Take care.

Kristy said...

Back pain is awful Pip, but it's strange how for me it comes and goes. I've never had bad pain, but I get an ache everynow and then for no reason.

btw will reply to email soon :)

Miss Positive said...

Oooh Pip a sore back is not good - maybe you need to rest it?

Hope you feel better soon!