Pip

Saturday, April 16, 2011









.............AGEING.................

Firstly 2 posts from me in one day! It looks as if just today I may have some free time haha! Okey Dokey, I'm writing a bit on ageing today. A kinda sombre, (however that is spelt) topic for me and prob a few people. Dunno why I'm feeling brave.

Anyways...........over the last few months I've noticed a couple of permanent creases that seem to stay on my face, (still rather small and faint hopefully). One on the forehead and 2 vertical frown lines just above my eyes with one being a bit more prominent than the other. They seem to look worse without any makeup, - ie a moisturisor and liquid foundation on. Luckily light to moderate makeup disguises maybe 80% of the ageing lines.

I also colour my hair. My natural colour is a dark brown. It still is.............but I see a few single grey strands now in every square cm once the re-growth gets to about 2 months. By 3-4 months I REALLY feel I need to put a colour in, - (today was one of those days and I coloured my hair today). My hair maintenance is still rather cheap at about 4 colours a year at about $15.95 a pop and 4 trims at about $19.50 a pop. But over the few months I notice the volume of greys aren't decreasing as re-growth pops through.........instead increasing slowly and surely. I either use supermarket shampoos or take advantage of cheaper salon shampooing/conditioning packages and specials. But I really need those colours! I used to get lighter foils in my hair at a salon...........but in an effort to try and save money for other things I've moved away from that the last 20 months or so. I've thought about a fringe to cover the forehead line and pulled my hair over that way to check it out. But I still see the faint vertical lines and I'm not prepared to have my hair covering my eyes!
Dammit, - maybe I can't pass for 18 anymore!!!

I remember as a kid and in my teens I was told I had perfect vision, - sharp and all! Last year I noticed it took my eyes a bit longer to fully focus early mornings, (I get up early for work). Small print looked a bit blurry in a distance. I put my head down a bit closer to read tiny print. Therefore I decided to take advantage of free optical tests on offer last year. I had a great assessment and the conclusion I was told was my vision wasn't perfect, (but still good enough not to warrant contacts or glasses). But it would diminish ever so slighly over the years so in about 10 years I would need driving/reading glasses.

A few years ago I actually spent a bit on expensive skincare regimes in the belief I may always look just a 'bit' younger than my age. But I accumulated credit card debt back in those days in doing so amongst other careless spending. Today I use mostly Nivea Visage from Woolworths and make sure I use either/and a moisturisor/foundation/sunscreen on my face with at least SPF 15 each day, (SPF 30 if outdoors for long periods). Finances are in better order these days.

The thoughts of Botox I can't afford have crossed my mind, (I haven't contemplated having it, just wished I've had the money I was able to consider it and keeping it up). However that sometimes is all a bit vain..................no-one important is gonna like ya better for it.

What I am grateful for is I'm now not in the position where I feel I need to lose huge amounts of weight. A couple, - 5 kgs nice.........yep, getting fitter and a bit more toned.......yep. But not oodles. My thing of lowering my cut off point, (of rebounding weight gain) has been successful for a few consistent years.

So as a result I am more worried about trying to cover up/use sunscreen/hats etc rather than getting a tan, I don't spend money I can't afford, (chopped up credit cards maybe a year ago), my weight fluctuations have become lots more minimal and actually my BMI is a couple of kg under 25 now.

I don't want to settle here though................I've entered two races as per above post in the nearish future and wanna be happy with my prep! However.......it's fun to acknowledge progress! And I'm on track for my overseas big holiday/adventure in a few years.

Guess I can't get too caught up in greys/permanent facial lines and realise I've kinda grown up LOL! BTW I turn 31 on July 19 this year. The pics at top of this post are of today and there is one with no makeup or nothing. Today I went a shade lighter with my hair colour, - a 4.0 instead of a 3.0 but don't notice much difference :-)

Finally, - I can't really figure out how to delete the right photo. The one of me in my maroon top with my mate are from a Christmas party last December, not to be disturbed with this post. The one with the pink top of me 2 weeks ago was the one I was meaning to put here.

2 comments:

Magda said...

Great post pip and one close to my (againg) heart LOL.

As far as having good skin goes I firmly believe that its 40% genetics, 50% lifestyle and 10% products. I havent used expensive skin care for decades and at well into my 40s I still get compliments on my skin. So what do I do? I drink lots of warm lemon water or herbal tea (not a lot of coffee or regular tea), I eat lots of fresh veges and some fruit. Eating too much sugar is again as is crap food (obviously). And cheap products do the job just as well as expensive ones in fancy packages.

BTW - you dont look old at all :-)

XX Magda

Magda said...

OOps lots of typos in my last comment. It should read "eating too much sugar is AGING ..."