Pip

Sunday, March 20, 2011

RECENT DOINGS AND HAPPENINGS...............

G'day all! A while since I've written I know. Just seem to have been crazy busy of late, (not totally in an organised way mind you).

First mention is that unfortunately I knew of one of the victims of the Christchurch Earthquake. She was in my year at school in 1997, (my last year of school and I changed schools and stayed in a hostel that year). She infact boarded in the room beside mine along with about 10 of us from my year. She was lovely, someone I looked up to in terms of being organised, into everything, great at sports and also an A student. She was much more popular than me so I didn't get to know her really closely but she was nice and friendly to me and many others on a general level and the group in my year at the hostel had many good times together. She unfortunately left behind a husband and a 3 yr old and 1 yr old daughter. The whole situation makes me shudder to think of. Not to mention the Japanese disaster since then. But onwards and upwards, I can't use her as an excuse to be a drain on others however it again illustrates that we can't take our lives for granted.

Work has been mega busy. We've had some bad luck with machines breaking down. Also we had no water for 2 mornings last week and had to carry cold water in buckets a block away to wash the produce etc we use. The water was turned off due to roadworks and re-construction of the city directly outside our building.

I don't have much to report regarding training. I'm going hard at work with moving, walking fast, bending, lifting etc trying to think ahead and be as productive as possible. Have been doing some overtime which is very helpful at the moment too. And just general jobs. However outside of work have been a little disorganised but flat out otherwise. Eating wise, um, not the best but 2-3 coffees a day and constantly being on go must have kept metabolism ampped up enough to at least not gain weight. I braved the scales this morning at 72kg. I was 71.8 at the beginning of the month feeling rather hungry and dehydrated before the scales mind you. I had a decent tea and quite a bit of water last night and didn't feel at all famished when waking up so I will say I weigh the same.

I really need to kick it to the next level to fine tune organisation. Work will still be flat out but still need to fit in training. 15 weeks today till Gold Coast half marathon. And that requires 15 consistent weeks of prep and really cutting back the alcohol to just social occasions again.

I've been mindful of getting my accommodation booked for the Gold Coast. I'm there for 4 nights. I arrive on 1 July, the race is 3 July and I leave on 5 July. I'd normally be happy to stay in a backpackers but with race relaxation, early starts etc I prepared myself to check into a cheapish apartment, hotel or motel for those 4 nights. I didn't want all the cheapies to go to be left with only options costing $500 a night or more. Anyway I found somewhere today! It's called 'BreakFree St Tropez' and is located on Orchid Ave in Surfers. They have a current deal of 'book 4 nights, pay for 3' and the total cost is $381 for those 4 nights. They required a $200 deposit to guarrantee the room which I could afford to pay today without shifting money around and cheating on my budget. It's also less than 500 metres from nearest free shuttle to take us to start of race. (Race starts at 6am but I wanna be there at least 30 mins prior).

Starting tomorrow my training prep will go something as follows:
* 1 long run every week, (prob Sunday) Maybe start at one hour, adding another 5 mins on each week

* 1 session of interval training per week, (either outdoors or on treadmill) covering 30 mins minimum

* either a 5km speed run or as far as poss on treadmill in 30 mins.

* Some weeks will want to add another run, maybe a 5-10km effort.

* Still need to do my 15 mins resistance 3 times per week.

* Still need to get a 30 min turbo bike ride in every week and a swim at least every second week.

Gosh it's lots hey! Most half marathon and marathon training programs seem to recommend running 4 times a week, (some are lighter effort/recovery weeks) plus some other cardio and resistance work is recommended.

So I plan on aiming for 3-4 runs per week, (sometimes 3, sometimes 4). A challenging ride every week of at least 30 mins to keep those legs turning over. A swim at least every fortnight focussing on developing an effective technique working toward triathlon season next year. The resistance stuff is painful at times but I think great with muscle tone, strength, and I hear to help with preventing some injuries.

Gosh, if I can pull off completing the half marathon under 2 hours and being comfortably under 68kg, (72 now) having body fat at or under 25%, I will feel like I'm floating on clouds after that race! My last attempt at that race was 2 hrs, 15 and I was about 85kg then.

Talk soon,

Pip :-)

3 comments:

Magda said...

Just give it your best shot Pip and see how it all pans out. I'm sure you'll do really well as you're a naturally fast runner.

Kristy said...

So sad the disaster's of late Pip :(

It's strange how life is already back to normal, after your visit and the house move. I hope to come to Perth sometime in the next 12 months...

I hope you are well

Kristy

Teresa said...

There have been so many sad events in the world today. Its hard to hear about it.

Keep up the good work Pip, I'm sure you will do great.