Pip

Sunday, July 11, 2010

CAR THOUGHTS............

Hello team!

I received a great present as a 30th pressie from Mum and Dad in the form of $$$ to buy a car. So am feeling very very lucky!

BF and I are searching around to see what is available and to find out what deals best suit my perceived needs/wants or whatever!

I will be living up at BF's in 4 weeks, (wow). That is 25km out of the city up in the hills. I am not anticipating driving into the city daily and parking with such a car. However it will be handy for picking up groceries for 2, (and a dog). Nearest supermarket is only a couple of kms away so cycling (and a few trips) could work. Vegie markets are only a few kms away too..............general convenience of a car will be great. Also taking my bike away to places to go riding and to have the means to drive to possible cycling training, triathlons and in general will rock. I haven't had a car in 5.5 years, (since being in Australia). However when I first moved to West Aussie before moving to Perth for the first 1.5 years I borrowed my Uncle's Ford Falcon wagon to get around and about in on days off. I took it down south to Dunsborough/Margaret River with my bike. In the last few years though the only driving I've done is sober drive BF maybe 4 times on quiet roads in his ute.

I have pretty much decided to go for an auto! BF and I have decided on some model of Toyota Corolla. For body shape at this stage I'm torn between a 4 door hatchback or a wagon. I am perfectly competent and confident with taking both wheels on and off my bike, (although not till I really tried to do it tonight!) It is really easy though as BF said it would be. To fit my bike in a hatchback I'd need to remove the front wheel but it would fit then. I could fit other bags and stuff around it. As for a wagon I wouldn't need to remove any wheels and there is in general lots of space that would be useful! Wagons would be great if away for a while with bike, or for carrying anything outdoorsy or camping, - all things I wanna partake in. Could prob even get a small kayak in a wagon. The wagon I'm looking at isn't a big wagon, but just a bit bigger/roomier than a hatch. However a hatch may look a bit snazzier and be easier for a not so confident person to drive! Hmmmmm!

A week tomorrow till 30. Pity I have to work tomorrow and get to bed, just thought I'd give an update!

Pip :-)

1 comment:

Kristy said...

How exciting Pip. I can't wait to see what car you decide on. You won't believe the freedom you will hav once you get a car...